Sundance film director visits SHU

Wednesday night award-winning filmmaker Jennifer Siebel Newsom spoke to students about the negative effects that mainstream media has on women and their image to the public.

The Student Activities Board arranged for the visit at this year's SHU Speaks event which was launched last night in the Jubilee Auditorium.

Assistant Dean of Students for Students Activities Mariel Pagan said that the SAB was excited to bring Newsom to campus to talk about her film, Miss Representation, a documentary on the way women are portrayed and misrepresented in media.

"SAB felt that the event would be of interested to the community," Pagan said. "I think the issues that are discussed in the film are important and need to be discussed more often, especially by college students. The film opened up my eyes to a variety of ways in which the media influences our day to day lives."

Pagan and SAB hope that it sparks discussion among the students and their family and friends in order to raise awareness about the issues discussed in Newsom's film. SAB acknowledged the help from many clubs and organizations in endorsing the event, including Adelante, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Phi Omega, Alpha Sigma Phi, Chi Upsilon Sigma, Lambda Tau Omega and Women for Women International.

Eric Hostettler can be reached at eric.hostettler@student.shu.edu.