Pep band seniors making noise for last time

It is hard to think about Seton Hall pride without including the pep band that accompanies the Pirate faithful, even when the student presence is lacking, the band never fails to deliver school spirit.

For seniors Dolores Bujnowski, Anthony Delaney and Sem Etienne, the time of giving their all for Seton Hall athletics is coming to a close.

"Joining the Pep Band was one of the best decisions that I've made during my four years at Se- ton Hall University," Bujnowski, a political science major from Bayonne, N.J., said. "It's an activity that I've enjoyed immensely, and I am going to miss being a member of the ensemble wholeheartedly."

Bujnowski plays the clarinet for the Pep Band, and says joining the ensemble was an easy decision once she decided to attend Seton Hall University four years ago.

"When I first decided that I would be attending Seton Hall University, I knew that the first extracurricular activity that I wanted to join immediately was the Pep Band because of my prior musical involvement," Bujnowski said.

Bujnowski has been involved in music dating back to elementary school.

But to her, nothing has com- pared to being a part of the blue and white.

"The friendships that I've formed with my fellow peers and our director, Professor (Deborah) Sfraga, will remain with me after Graduation," Bujnowski said. "I'm looking forward to being a part of the Pep Band as a Seton Hall University Alumni."

Anthony Delaney, a secondary education major from Roselle Park, N.J. has certainly seen his way around the ensemble during his career at Seton Hall.

"I play all manner of wood- winds: sax, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, oboe, flute, drums, and I understand the basics of many others," Delaney said. "I am no Yanni, but I can work my way through a music room fairly easily."

Delaney believes the pep band is much more than just playing instruments though.

"I think other than the players themselves, we are a huge part of the heart of the games," Delaney said. "We are a big part of cheering on the team and starting chants for the crowds to follow. I feel that a lot of the heckling that we do to the other teams is appreciated by both player and spectator alike, and that due to this we form a bond with everyone who is a Pirate at heart."

The people in that bond, Delaney says, are the one thing he is going to miss the most once his time at Seton Hall is over.

"I was surrounded by people who were like minded with me, music major or not, and I have made friendships that I know are going to last even after we all graduate and go our separate ways," Delaney said. Delaney also hopes he will be able to come back for a game or two in the future.

Sem Etienne is a secondary education major from Newark, N.J. and plays the trumpet for the Pep Band. Unlike Bujnowski and Delaney, Etienne had no prior band setting before his time at Seton Hall.

However, that does not mean Etienne is not going to miss his collegiate hobby once he graduates.

"The friends and experiences are what I am going to miss the most," Etienne said.

"College is the one of the few places where people with all different interests are around and interact with each other."

Like Delaney, Etienne believes the Pep Band brings so much to the game atmosphere.

"The importance of the Pep Band is to be the biggest fans, in my opinion," Etienne said. "Most times, we're the first ones at a game, the loudest ones during it, and one of the last people to leave. Even on days where students may not show up, the Pep Band is always there to cheer on the Pirates."

There is little doubt as to the dedication the Pep Band brings to Seton Hall athletics over the course of a basketball season.

For these three seniors, the importance the group brings night in and night out, has made the past four years worthwhile.

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu.