Opportunities will happen here if you let them

I hadn't even meant to apply to Seton Hall. I wasn't really even planning on attending college.

Not due to extravagant dreams or other budding opportunities, but because senioritis had taken hold of me so violently that I found myself too lazy to fill out the Common App.

I waited so long to apply to colleges that I missed deadlines for most universities and ended up applying to just 4 schools - two safety schools, Fordham and Seton Hall.

At this point, it's safe to say that I'm probably a masochist.

As determined by me (read: my dad), a gap year was not on the table.

So when I received my acceptance letters, we took two day-trips to visit Fordham and SHU.

On Fordham visiting day, we were met with horrid weather with buckets of rain and a lot of wind.

Conversely, we toured the campus at Seton Hall on a calm, mild spring morning.

Maybe it was a sign.

Maybe it's Maybelline.

Regardless, I told my family, "Why not?"

Ideally located with a small classroom size, my non-planning had worked out pretty well.

The charm of the campus Green in the middle of spring hadn't hurt either - so thanks, Seton Hall landscaping team.

To top off my role model worthy pre-college preparation, I had no idea what I wanted to study.

Which thankfully, was not uncommon, because you couldn't swing pirate sword without hitting someone who was undetermined.

Luckily enough, one of the many things that I've come to respect about Seton Hall is that if you're motivated, someone will recognize that or at least be available in some capacity to guide you in the right direction.

For every "neglectful" professor, there are three that care and want you to succeed.

Over my time at SHU, there have been several individuals - not just professors - that have definitely helped me on my way.

They also guided me when I was lost in the general stress-fueled confusion that is college (not to mention those pesky quarter-life crises).

As such, I've built relationships with a handful of staff here and I'd like to take this moment to recognize the impact they've made and express my appreciation.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to every one of one you. I won't name any names, to avoid embarrassment.

College is a time to build close relationships, not just outside the classroom, but within as well.

No matter the amount of denial you throw at it, college is the beginning of your professional, adult life.

It's a lot like the scrimmage before the big game.

Start of a conversation with some of the people you encounter here.

Though they may not be able to hand you a pamphlet entitled "A Step by Step Guide to Being Successful in Your Newly Acquired Adult Life," they may say something that could be that piece in your one million piece life-puzzle.

I was lucky enough for things to work for me (I'm still surprised about it every day) in ways I couldn't even imagine.

Where SHU was once a last minute option, it has become a place where opportunities can happen, if you let them.

You'll have to work for it, no doubt.

But if you reach out, you'll always find a hand to pull you up.

Chelsea Catlett can be reached at chelsea.catlett@student.shu.edu.