Alumni Relations team expands staff, adds six new clubs

The Alumni Relations team is trying to strengthen the relationship between the alumni and the Seton Hall Community by expanding its staff.

Staffing changes include hiring new full- time staff members last year for the following positions: associate director of alumni clubs, associate director of campus partnerships, associate director of regional alumni engagement and assistant director of student and young alumni programs.

Increasing staff began in March 2012 when Dave Bohan, vice president for University of Advancement, was hired.

Robert Mayers, associate director of alumni clubs, said a division-wide "concerted effort" was made to expand the reach. The new members of the team began working full time in May 2013.

"The corporate club program was a major part of our new efforts," Mayers said. "I've been meeting with individuals at a variety of corporations and have receive positive feedback."

More meetings are planned, with formal events to follow for alumni at certain companies.

In the future, we'd like to have a corporate club at each company that employs a significant (number) of Seton Hall alumni."

Mayers and other members of the alumni relations team said they feel it is important for alumni and students to form relationships because it builds a network for students as they prepare to go into the workforce.

Also, members of the Alumni Board of Directors serve as mentors to students throughout the academic year.

The Regional Alumni Program's efforts included starting new chapters and recruiting ambassadors in cities across the country. Also, True Blue, a loyalty recognition program, was launched last October to honor involved alumni.

"There are six new clubs with several others in formation as we speak," Mayers said. "Moving forward, we'll continue to add new clubs, with an increased focus on the corporate side."

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.