Divergent' in different direction than novel

Popular books have always served as inspiration for movies. The idea of finally experiencing the many words, concepts, revelations, and "AHA!" moments fleshed out on screen brings mass attention not only from die-hard fans, but people who may need to see the movie prior to reading the book or those who are too busy or lazy to read the book. And as this long-standing tradition continues, it was only a matter of time before the hit book trilogy "Divergent" would take to mass media entertainments worldwide.

In theaters right now, "Divergent" grossed $54.6 million during its opening weekend in March. While it's scoring a mean 7.6 stars out of 10 from a fan perspective, it's falling short for both diehard book fans and critics. Unfortunately for most "Divergent" book fanatics, the movie shouldn't mention it was based off the book series as the film took dynamic parts of the book and shoved them in the polar direction. So be warned, the fans believe the book is far better than the movie.

Set after a futuristic apocalypse, society is divided into five factions. The factions were created to maintain order after a great war broke out. Each faction represents a distinct virtue -Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an allotted day each year, all 16-year-olds must select the faction they will commit to for the rest of their lives. Beatrice Prior, who later changes her name to Tris, must decide on the heart-wrenching choice to either stay with her family in the Abnegation faction or be who she really is. Tris also holds a powerful secret that could destroy her life. She is a Divergent, which means she doesn't fit into a single group, but can fit into all. At the ceremony, Tris does something that surprises her family, and even her; she chooses to enter the Dauntless faction. But it doesn't stop there; the initiates must prove themselves worthy of their selected faction. Can Tris prove her worth to be in the Dauntless faction and keep her secret of being a Divergent?

I have never read the books, but after watching "Divergent" I would like to read the series and compare them to the movie. I always enjoy books over the movies, but as of right now I cannot be bias. I enjoyed what the movie offered as it was action-based with a decent cast, but I guess I haven't seen (or read) anything yet.

Gloryeanne Lindenmuth can be reached at gloryeanne.lindenmuth@student.shu.edu