Softball falls twice on first day of Spring Break action

The softball team (3-14) fell twice on Friday in the first day of its Spring Break trip to Clearwater, Fla. at the University of South Florida Under Armour Showcase.

The Pirates were outscored 11-1 on the first day of the event, although they did not struggle to get runners on base. The team spread 12 hits across the two games but their only run came from a homer off the bat of junior Danielle DeStaso in the 7-1 loss the team suffered at the hands of Chattanooga.

The Pirates lost the second game 4-0 to Utah.

In that game the Utes got on the board in the bottom of the second with an RBI double by freshman Bella Secaira. Senior Chalese Hadley would later bring Secaira home with an RBI single.

Seton Hall tried to string together a strong inning of their own. With two outs in the top of the third, sophomore Faith Laudano walked and advanced to second on a single by sophomore Yasmin Harrell. Sophomore Jackie DiPietro followed with a single of her own to load the bases for senior Meredith Henze. However, Henze failed to keep the inning alive, popping out to second to end the frame.

The Pirates would threaten again in the fourth inning. A one-out single by DeStaso and a double by junior Sara Haefli puttwo runners in scoring position , but the pair was left stranded when freshman Chelsea Caynon struck out to end the inning.

Utah extended the lead in the final two innings. Junior Mariah Ramirez brought in junior Kendal Berman with an RBI double in the fifth inning to make the score 3-0 and Bergman came through with an RBI single of her own in the sixth inning.

For Seton Hall, Harrell and DeStaso both finished 2-for-3 andfreshman Lauren Fischer took the loss , going six innings, giving up four runs on eight hits.

In the first game, the Pirates lost to Chattanooga 7-1.

The Pirates fell behind 4-0 to the Mocs after the first two innings. An early comeback opportunity was squandered by the Pirates after senior Maria DeLuca was stranded on third base after a leadoff double in the second inning,

DeStaso would get the Pirates on the board in the bottom of the fifth with her second home run of the season, bringing the score to 4-1 Chattanooga.

Chattanooga would get some insurance in top of the sixth after a double off the bat of sophomore Anyssa Robles, bringing the score to 7-1.

Junior Casey Moses took the loss for the Pirates, going seven innings and striking out four moving her record to 1-5 on the season.

Seton Hall returns to the field Saturday, March 8 for another doubleheader in Clearwater. The Pirates will face Quinnipiac at 1:30 p.m. and Central Michigan at 4 p.m.

Gerard Gilberto can be reached at gerard.gilberto@student.shu.edu.