“Saint George” in need of a miracle

George Lopez has created and produced another sitcom that surrenders to his self-deprecating humor that premiered on FX on March 6.

“Saint George” followed a basic formula, almost the exact same formula in fact as George Lopez’s self-titled show. Most of the jokes were told at Lopez’s expense from his mother, again very similar to “George Lopez”, or from his ex-wife, cousin, and uncle. All of whom make up the ensemble cast.

“Saint George” is signed on under the 10/90 structure that FX continues to use. “Anger Management” was also created under this structure. According to Variety, under the 10/90 structure, the first batch of episodes must meet certain ratings criteria and then the network will commit to bring the show to 100 episodes – once the magic number for syndication.

This is the first scripted show that Lopez has starred in since “George Lopez” and according to the Hollywood Reporter, the show premiered to a modest 1.2 million viewers. Among those viewers the show received ratings of 0.4 – not so hot for a premiere night. However, “Saint George” also didn’t have much build up or publicity prior to the premiere.

The show follows the chaotic life of a recently divorced George Lopez who has become a successful businessman by creating energy drinks. Lopez must balance his family life with his critical ex-wife who seems to always be around, his judgmental mother, his 11-year-old son, and his cousin and uncle who push him to get back into the dating world after his divorce. Lopez is also a history teacher at a night school once a week.

This plot doesn’t entirely scream humor to me. The situation isn’t funny, so the show will need to work a lot harder for a joke than other comedies. Keeping the plot in mind, the show definitely isn’t a crack up, laugh out loud type of show. The show will make you smile and maybe even chuckle once or twice. However, that’s just how Lopez’s humor is. For anyone who thoroughly enjoys Lopez as a stand-up comedian and actor, then this show is right down your alley. If, like me, this type of humor almost bores you and you keep the show on just for the dull sound at night, then this might not be the show for you.

“Saint George” may or may not succeed using the 10/90 formula; it remains to be seen.

Rebecca White can be reached at Rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.

Author: Rebecca White

Rebecca White is from Orange County, California and is a senior majoring in Communication. She started out as the Pirate Life Copy Editor her sophomore year, worked her way up to Assistant Pirate Life Editor her junior year, and enters her senior year as Pirate Life Editor. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her time at Seton Hall she has interned for CNBC and CupidsPulse.com, an entertainment site where she coordinates the celebrity interviews. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.