Mind Games' loses audience

A new psychological drama has just been introduced on ABC in the form of the television series "Mind Games", which premiered on Feb. 25.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, ratings indicated that "Mind Games" didn't do so hot, landing the show with a 1.1 rating with adults from 18-49, even with a strong lead-in from "The Bachelor".

Personally, I think that you need to read up on the plot online before you go into the show because if you don't, you'll find yourself confused until about halfway through when all of it starts to make sense. Even if you do read up on it, it just seems to be an overly complicated show.

The show revolves around two brothers, one who is a con man and one who is bipolar, and the company that they start together. The foundation for the company is to help people achieve a certain goal, through psychological manipulation. Does that make sense to you? Probably not. It barely made sense watching it.

Even with a complicated plot line, when you finally understand what the show is about, it's very interesting if you're one who is intrigued by the human mind. The basic hook of the show is solid; it's just the execution that needs some help.

The characters just aren't interesting enough to care about and neither is how they're presented. They seem to lack any emotions, therefore making a connection with the audience very difficult. Also, the way that being bipolar is portrayed, seems wildly inaccurate. If these minor kinks were improved, the show would have likable characters and a great hook. Success would be easy after that.

However, the kinks aren't improved in the pilot, leaving the viewers wondering if the only conflict is going to be the fact that one of the main characters is a con man. Not only is a con man not that interesting to watch if he's not the sole focus, but it's also very frustrating to watch someone use people and think they're doing a good thing. Maybe that's what the show was going for. If enough viewers are frustrated enough, they'll keep coming back for more.

It remains to be seen if this drama will captivate enough viewers to last more than a season and overcome the declining TV ratings and a horrible time slot.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.