Harlan Coben to appear at Words Bookstore

Harlan Coben is on a roll. His last six novels have all debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times' bestseller list. A few of his books are currently being developed into film and television projects. And on March 18, his latest mystery thriller "Missing You" will hit bookstores nationwide.

But despite his success, the Ridgewood, New Jersey native has never forgotten his roots. On a book signing tour that includes stops in New York, Boston and Paris, Coben will appear at the Words Bookstore in nearby Maplewood March 19.

Considering all that's going on in his career right now, it would be understandable if Coben was stressed about whether his latest novel will live up to the high expectations set by his recent achievements. However, he said he's not feeling any pressure.

"Pressure is when you're not selling a lot of books and just hoping for a book contract," Coben said. "It is an honor to have so many people read my books."

Numerous people will soon be picking up "Missing You." The novel tells the story of NYPD detective Kat Donovan, who is shocked to find her former fianc?© Jeff on a dating website. But things take a turn for the mysterious when a teenager asks for her help to find his missing mother - who was last seen going on a trip with Jeff.

Coben said he was inspired to write the book after wondering what would happen if you found the former love of your life online. Like all of his novels, the story contains enough plot twists to keep readers guessing. At its heart though, it can be viewed as a love story, which is a form that also interests him.

"Love makes the world go around," Coben said. "It's a compelling theme for all."

Another theme Coben frequently includes in his works is reconnecting with someone once thought to be long-lost. He said the hope of finding a loved one is what fascinates him.

"If someone is missing, they might be alive," Coben said. "Hope can be the most wonderful thing in the world - or it can crush your heart like an eggshell."

Fans hoping to meet Coben won't have their hearts crushed. He'll soon be just minutes from Seton Hall.

Sean Quinn can be reached at sean.quinn@student.shu.edu.