Employees complete questionnaires, win free iPads

Seton Hall University gave employees the chance to win an iPad by taking part in completing a few quizzes.

University officials designed the contest in order to have the faculty and staff focus on financial planning and retirement. The University teamed up with its financial services provider, TIAA-CREF, which stands for Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association - College Retirement Equities Fund, to try to engage the faculty and staff in managing their retirement and financial goals.

Participation in the quizzes was open to all part-time and full-time employees. There were 15 five-question quizzes.

According to Ileana Farris, a benefits analyst for SHU Human Resources, and Jane Jacobs, director of compensation and recruitment for Human Resources, who helped organize the quizzes, the questions varied from the relationship between stock and bond prices to the average cost of a college education.

According to information revealed by Farris and Jacobs stated that the questions become more difficult every day.

The quizzes provided links with addition- al financial education resources.

Farris and Jacobs commented that, "The University discussed the needs for a more fun and creative approach to connect with a diverse population of faculty and staff with differing needs."

The three winners of the iPad's will be randomly selected by TIAA-CREF on Feb. 28.

Because of the organization's interest in helping the students learn about financial education, the University aims to work with the company to offer a similar opportunity for students.

Jordyn Puchino can be reached at Jordyn. puchino@student.shu.edu.