3 Days' is dead on arrival

"3 Days to Kill" is a corny spy movie. Or is it an action-packed family movie? Writer and producer Luc Besson ("Taken") and director McG ("Charlie's Angels" and "This Means War") have "3 Days to Kill" all over the place.

Kevin Costner plays Ethan Renner, a mysterious spy who has alienated his wife and daughter in pursuit of his international agent role. When a mission brings him to his family's hometown of Paris, he tries to reconnect while maintaining his secret role. Secret agent Vivi Delay, played by Amber Heard, bribes him with a serum that will reverse his terminal illness. If you are not confused by now, see the movie and you will understand; there is too much going on.

The movie revolves around a specific mission but soon after arriving in Paris, the protagonist is torn between his job as a spy and as a father, often blending the two roles. It is relatable and pulls at the heartstrings because the estranged father displays amazing effort in raising his daughter, Zoey, played by Hailee Steinfeld. The story is constantly coming back to his torn obligations between his family and his job. Yet the whole story is predictable and overall unimpressive.

This movie is almost unbearably corny even before the end of the opening credits. The action is overplayed and the villains are clich?©; the villains are named "The Albino" and "The Wolf" -- ridiculous. It seemed as if Heard's character was added at the last minute. She comes in and out of the adventure with all the answers and always in a new costume. She detracted from what cohesiveness the movie holds.

Highlighting the funny parts of the movie would make it much better. However, Costner's seriousness is the very thing that makes the audience unable to take this movie seriously. Without the jokes to support the movies style, the movie is a flop.

"3 Days to Kill" should have been released on Father's Day. It's got the spy action as well as family bonding. Big names such as Costner, Heard and Steinfeld are not enough to redeem this movie. Do not waste your money.

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@student.shu.edu.