Senior Column: Reflecting on stress, focusing on enjoyment

Our senior editors will be featured as columnists the rest of the semester, reflecting on their adventures and time spent at The Hall.

Four years ago, I wrote to Seton Hall University expressing my desire to attend such a great school. The pride SHU placed in a small learning community and focus on ethical and spiritual development were too enticing to pass up-I had to become a Pirate.

Now, as my third and final year at Seton Hall nears an end, I find myself constantly realizing how substantially my life has changed. Coming into college I had my sights set on bettering myself, experiencing knew things, and getting an education that would secure a successful career.

Freshman year I bettered myself in the scores of Netflix seasons and the delicacies of El Greco; my second, sophomore and junior year I experienced knew things-meeting new people, going knew places, and finding what I want to do with my life, but as my last year concludes, my school work has been put on the backburner because all I ever seem to be is stressed.

Not only do I stress from balancing a full school schedule, a 40-hour workweek, and trying to make tuition payments on time while making sure there is enough money for ramen. But I constantly stress that I might get a ticket for parking over a line; I worry about being kicked out of the library before my essay is complete; and I get uneasy knowing the only food available after 10 p.m. is donuts.

Seton Hall has given me so much in the past few years. I have learned a great deal not only in my major but about myself, met some of my closest friends, and discovered what I believe to be my purpose. I have had excellent professors, stimulating classes, and have truly become proud to be a Pirate. But my experience was my own because I pushed myself to stay positive and engaged.

As a University, Seton Hall should never have students missing classes or creating parking spaces because there are not enough for the amount of students enrolled. As an edcational institution, students should always have access to a computer, a printer, and a study room to use all hours into the night and day. And as a home to thousands of students, a nutritious snack or meal should be available and encouraged all hours of the day.

However, as students, it is up to us to make our college experience our own. Despite the frustrations, stress, and sometimes overwhelming expectations college can bring, we pay a lot to be here, so we should be enjoying ourselves. This is supposed to be the best time of our lives. A time to grow, to explore, and to learn, so let's go and do that.

Victoria Plate is a senior Communication Studies major from Adkins, TX. She can be reached at platevic@shu.edu.