Pirates take another step back against last-place DePaul?

In an effort to build off a close loss to No. 11 Creighton on Sunday, the men’s basketball team lost to the DePaul Blue Demons 65-60 Tuesday night.

Free throws were the deciding factor in the game as DePaul made 17 of 18 compared to Seton Hall’s 5-11.

In the first half, the Pirates got off to an early 11-6 lead, only to see DePaul command a 10-0 run en route to a 26-17. DePaul would not look back, and headed into the intermission with a 38-29 lead.

Seton Hall got off on the right foot after the break, opening the second half on a 9-2 run to close the gap and cut the deficit to two.

The Pirates took the lead halfway through the period after a 3-pointer from senior Fuquan Edwin and they quickly built that lead to six. It appeared as if the Pirates were about to run away with things, but an 8-0 run by DePaul got the Blue Demons right back into the game.

With the game tied with under three minutes, DePaul’s Durrell McDonald hit his third 3-pointer of the game to give the Blue Demons a lead they would never relinquish. A Brandon Young slam dunk off a Seton Hall turnover stretched the lead to five with 1:22 left in the game.

Young finished with 19 points while McDonald and Billy Garrett Jr. finished with 15 points apiece. Edwin, despite being bothered by a hand injury midway through the second half, tallied 21 points, 2 rebounds and 4 steals for the Pirates. Freshman Jaren Sina was perfect from three-point range, going 4-4 to finish with 12 points.

Seton Hall has now lost five out of its last six contests and its latest loss snapped a 10-game losing streak for DePaul.

The 14-14 Pirates will return to action against the on Friday night when they take on the Providence Friars at 7 p.m. at the Prudential Center.

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu.

Author: David Heim

David is a junior journalism major at Seton Hall University. Aside from being the sports editor of The Setonian, David is a producer for Pirate TV on its weekly sports talk show ‘Hall Talk.’ David is also a contributing writer for AFC East Daily, where he covers the New England Patriots, as well as GothamSN, where he covers the New York Yankees. David also covers the New York Jets for DoubleG and has written for Bleacher Report.