Swindell steals the limelight in first full-length

Georgia Native Cole Swindell had a successful year in 2013, going from Luke Bryan's merchandise guy to Bryan's opening act on his headline tour and releasing his well-known single, "Chillin 'It." Although Swindell is telling listeners to chill and relax, he has in no way been doing this in order to prepare for his first release of his self-titled album with 12 new songs released on Feb. 18. Although there are songs about chillin' it on the album, Swindell sings about heartbreak, where you come from, and how you grew up.

The songs that stand out are "Hope You Get Lonely Tonight," which was co-written by Florida Georgia Line and "Ain't Worth the Whiskey." Both songs showcase a different side to Cole Swindell than people may have expected through hearing just "Chillin' It." He shows how he is not worried about a past relationship and is perfectly content to be wherever he is at that given moment. Both songs have a strong beat and groove to them, making for strong radio hits.

Much different are "I Just Want You" and "Swayin'." They are more laid back and have lyrics that catch the listeners' ears. "Dozen Roses and a Six Pack" is similar as Swindell sings about a prior love in his life that he had lost.

Bringing Swindell's first career album to a close is "Down Home Boys" and "The Back Roads and The Back Row". These songs bring out the classic country sound that have a similar tone and feel to Florida Georgia Line. Specifically in "The Back Roads and the Back Row" he describes the story of his life showing how much he has overcome in the last three years through not just his music career but his life journey.

Swindell proves you really have no idea where life is going to take you every step of the way, after selling merchandise for a big time country superstar Luke Bryan, he now is opening up again for him in 2014 and hopes to go on his own tour sometime soon. Swindell really showcases who he is through his track list on this album showing he has a lot to offer and is bound for country stardom.

Amanda Boyer can be reached at amanda.boyer@student.shu.edu.