Jury selection begins in trial for 2010 murder of Seton Hall University student Jessica Moore

Jury selection began today for the trial of Nicholas Welch, who was arrested on Sept. 27, 2010 and charged with the murder of then 19-year-old Seton Hall University sophomore Jessica Moore, according to Katherine Carter, Essex County Prosecutor's Office press agent.

Jury selection is ongoing and will continue tomorrow as homicide jury selection typically takes several days, Carter said.

Moore's family members were present in the courtroom today and will be tomorrow, according to Cynthia Moore, Jessica's aunt.

The actual trial, including opening statements, testimony, etc. is expected to begin Tues. Feb. 25, but that date is subject to change based on the jury selection process, Carter said.

According to Cynthia Moore, she and the other family members will return to Virginia, Moore's home state, on Thursday after court.

Marcus Bascus, also of East Orange, was arrested in 2010 as an alleged accomplice in Moore's murder but will be tried separately, according to Carter. Bascus will be tried sometime after the resolution of the Welch case, Carter said.

Welch allegedly tried to enter a fraternity party in East Orange in the early hours of Sept. 25, 2010, returned with a gun and shot Moore and four other people at the party. Moore died that same day.

Welch pled not guilty the day of his arrest.

Check www.thesetonian.com and the print edition of The Setonian for further details.

Charlotte Lewis can be reached at charlotte.lewis@student.shu.edu.