Free weights deemed a danger

The fitness center, the newest addition to SHU's Richie Regan Recreation Center, boasts more than 100 new pieces of equipment and offers an expanded schedule for classes, but students say they are unhappy with the omission of bench presses and squat racks the gym had before its renovation.

"I could get a better workout at the old gym because of the equipment offered (there)," sophomore Spencer Wald said.

Associate Athletics Director for Recreational Services Kathleen Matta said the old weight system was removed because it was a potential safety hazard.

"In order to ensure a safe environment, free weights must be properly monitored at all times, and we do not have a full-time staff member dedicated to oversee the new facility," Matta said.

The gym's new, state-of-the art equipment offers some user-friendly perks, including Internet access and a display for TV.

"We did have issues with Wi-Fi in our old space because of location, but the problems have been rectified in the new area," Matta said.

With three levels, the fitness center provides open space and lots of windows that give exercising students a view of the campus.

Sophomore Allan Garcia said he likes the openness.

"It provides views, which are motivational," he said.

However, other students are not in favor of the exposure.

"I'm not fan. The windows should be dimmed," sophomore Cole McNamara said.

Matta said she feels the open layout has generated far more praise than critique.

"The old space was criticized for being dark, crowded and lacking any natural light," she said. "For the few that feel they would like more privacy, there are machines in the second row away from the windows."

The fitness center is open for longer hours. Students can visit the center from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.

Lindsay Ireland can be reached at lindsay.ireland@student.shu.edu.