Wahlburgers' showcases love and food

Most reality shows appear scripted and dramatic, but the new A&E television show, "Wahlburgers," is honest, heartwarming and entertaining.

The key ingredients are the constant love among family, hard work, bickering brothers and a good burger. The show focuses on three Wahlberg brothers, Paul, Donnie and Mark, along with the matriarch, Alma, who also helps run the family restaurant, Wahlburgers.

When it comes to making the final decision and ending disputes, Alma is head of the family. Even with their success as business owners, chef Paul and actors Donnie and Mark are forced to put their views on how to build a business aside because Alma has the final say. They might have fame and success, but they will do anything to become their mother's favorite.

"Wahlburgers" features the obstacles and hard work that involved in owning a successful restaurant and expanding a business. However, these challenges are primarily handled by the oldest brother, Paul. Donnie and Mark's fame in the entertainment business is not much help.

The first episode of the season, "Who's Your Favorite?" highlights the significance of family and never forgetting where someone has come from. One of the scenes was emotional and sweet, dealing with Paul and Alma visiting their first family home when they facing many financial issues.

Overall, "Wahlburgers" avoids the extreme drama and overbearing characters that would drive viewers away. The characters, dynamics and concepts of this new reality television show are worth watching. Every minute is filled with entertainment and family comedy that will interest a wide variety of viewers.

"Wahlburgers" airs on A&E at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.

Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.