Super Bowl security keeps intern busy

Anne Chavez spent last semester and part of this semester preparing for one of the nation's biggest nights: the Super Bowl.

Her internship is with S.A.F.E Management, a Florida-based security company that works with a number of NFL teams.

"I have been part of the security check in for the Super Bowl," said Chavez, who is a sports management and marketing major.

She learned about the internship from a professor. Once she was chosen, she went right to work.

"We get at least 300 calls every day and need to stay on top of all security requirements for the state of New Jersey," she said. "It is both very nerve-wracking and exciting because there is a lot of regulation information that you must know and help pass on."

Chavez said her keys to success at S.A.F.E Management and in life itself are simply just asking for help and taking advantage of resources.

Whether it is asking a friend who is already working about job possibilities or going to the Career Center for resume and interview advice, "you shouldn't hesitate to ask."

The internship comes to a close in February, after the Super Bowl, when the company relocates to Arizona to prep for the next one.

So the senior intends to stay in the area and said she hopes get a job with Madison Square Garden.

After graduation, Chavez said she wants to focus on getting a job in the sports industry.

"It has been a rewarding experience." Chavez said of her time at S.A.F.E. Management. "I definitely learned a lot."

Danielle Adamkiewicz can be reached at danielle.adamkiewicz@student.shu.edu.