New fitness center unveiled

One of the glaringly newest additions to Seton Hall this semester is the new fitness center located inside Richie Regan Recreation center.

The fitness center is a three-level addition to the recreational center and includes a section for free weights, dance/floor exercises, and a spin and cardio studio.

In addition, it features over 100 new pieces of equipment, as well as additional free weights.

Equipment includes treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers and multiple bikes.

Additions to the free weight area including a set of dumb bells, multiple cable machines and a life fitness synergy station.

"The fitness center will also begin expanding its instructional offerings beginning Monday, Jan. 20," Assistant Athletic Director, Kathleen Matta said. "There will be about 30 classes weekly, including early mornings, lunch hour, and evenings."

Sessions will be taught by certified student instructors and classes will be added based on popularity and demand, according to Matta. Courses being offered include: body combat, Zumba, Pilates and RPM.

"Body combat will be an empowering group fitness cardio workout where you are totally unleashed. This fiercely energetic program is inspired by mixed martial arts such as karate, boxing, taekwondo, tai chi and muay thai," Matta said.

Classes on spinning or RPM in- door cycling workouts will be offered by the fitness center. Not only will students have the opportunity to take instructional classes, they will also be able to access some of the new resources within the facility.

"Students will find new and state-of-the-art equipment in a larger and more attractive welcoming space. Much of the equipment has video display for TV, Web Access, and work out displays plus portable devise plug in," Dennis Garbini, Vice President of Administration said.

"The area was well received. Students walked in and went right to the equipment without hesitation," Garbini said of the reception to the new fitness center. A formal blessing of the facility will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 21.

The fitness center has extended its hours on Monday through Fri- day to 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends.

Many students have become frequent users of the new fitness center in recent days and are enjoying the new facility:

"It has a real gym atmosphere," student, Jennifer Tinn said.

"The old gym felt like a dungeon."

Additional staff will be on hand for the first couple of weeks to answer any questions and assist with any machines.

Student staff members were trained on proper usage at the beginning of the semester.

Neal McHale can be reached at neal.mchale@student.shu.edu.