Enlisted' serves up a few laughs

In the first five minutes of Intelligence, created by Michael Seitzman, we see a lone figure trekking the Himalayan mountainside interspersed with flashbacks. We find out the figure's wife, a CIA operative, had betrayed the agency, and he is on a search for her. Armed men capture him and, while being questioned, he displays extraordinary mental capabilities, from deciphering personal relationships of strangers to opening locked doors. This gives way to an exciting chase and action sequence.

We are then taken to a government agency where we are introduced to the man. His name is Gabriel, played by Josh Holloway, and he's had a microchip installed in his brain rendering him an "advanced intelligent agent." This show brings a twist on the typical CIA action-drama. This innovative microchip allows access to just about anything that can be found in cyberspace. The CIA is testing this microchip in a human being, codenamed Project Clockwork, in order to harness and understand the ultimate intelligence weapon.

But protection is needed for the ultimate intelligence weapon, and that is where Agent Riley, portrayed by Meghan Ory, comes in. She is an extremely intelligent and professional Secret Service agent who has unknowingly been trained her whole career for the job of protecting Gabriel. Their meeting is less than pleasant, with an air of superiority pouring from Gabriel as he recites her history, from shoplifting to her SAT scores. With a snarky reply she declines the offer of the job, but she is coerced into it by the CIA's no-nonsense boss Lillian, played by Marg Helgenberger.

The relationship between the partners includes witty banter, snubs and jokes at one another's expense, making the audience eager for its development. So far, the level of dedication and reverence to their work proves the pair to be a suitable team, but there is a hint of attraction and compassion that will make the partnership interesting.

Their first mission together involves the rescue of Project Clockwork chief neuroscientist Dr. Cassidy, played by John Billingsley, who was kidnapped by masked men. Since his retirement, he was developing another microchip. They want him to place that device in one of their men who possess the necessary gene in order for the microchip to work. This stor line, as well as the mystery of Gabriel's wife and the developing relationship of the protagonists, promises to bring great intrigue in the episodes to come.

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@shu.edu.