Work study students get boost pay

Students in the work study program will benefit from New Jersey’s minimum wage increase, which went into effect Jan 1.

In November, voters approved raising the minimum wage a dollar, up from the previous rate of $7.25.

Students will be paid the new rate immediately, according to Javonda Asante, director of financial aid.

“We have updated our system and the students affected will see the change in their next paycheck,” Asante said.

The government distributes a set amount of funds to universities for the federal work study program, and this amount has not changed, according to Asante.

“Federal work study students will have to continue to monitor their hours and adjust accordingly with their supervisors to stay within the allotted amount awarded,” she said.

This increase will yield noticeable results. For example, a part-time job of about 20 hours per week will have a 14 percent salary increase.

Junior Jeff Ehalt, who works at the office for Seton Worldwide, said that he looks forward to the increase.

“I’m from Connecticut where minimum wage is actually $8.25,” he said.

When he took his job in New Jersey, Ehalt said he was “shocked” by the lower minimum wage and its effect on his weekly salary.

Sophomore Leanne Mocniak works in freshman studies.

She said that she doesn’t think that the change will really affect her.

“I think the increase is a step in the right direction in general for the state, but I personally feel indifferent,” she said.

She said that her schedule hasn’t changed this semester as a result of the minimum wage increase.

Mary Marshall can be reached at mary.marshall@student.shu.edu.

Author: Mary Marshall

Mary Marshall is the Editor In Chief of The Setonian. She is a senior at Seton Hall, originally from Chicago. Mary is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is a former intern for NBC Dateline, Tom Brokaw and MSNBC. Mary reports on local crime and breaking news on campus.