Best Man Holiday' shows all sides of the season

If you want to get into the holiday spirit early, go see the movie "Best Man Holiday." The star-studded cast includes Terrence Howard, Morris Chestnut, Taye Diggs and Regina Hall. Written and directed by Malcolm D. Lee, who also directed favorites such as "Roll Bounce" and "Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins," this is an instant classic holiday film.

This movie tells the story of a holiday reunion among a group of friends who have a history with each other and secrets that still need to be shared. The film is a sequel to a 1990's movie, so character dynamics and familiar plot lines can be easily identified. Best friends and fianc?©s were tangled in love triangles, and this movie picks up in the aftermath of the drama of the prequel, "The Best Man."

The nine friends catch up on each other's lives when they gather at one couple's home for the holidays and find that they have a lot to learn. The film engages the audience in the characters' lives as various dramas unfold..

The characters and where their relationships stand are revealed in a hilarious and relatable way. Friendships, marriages and parenthood are explored in the themes of this movie, giving it an edge that puts it above the mere com-dram category. Serious topics allow an audience to take this movie seriously, despite its hilarity. Terrence Howard and Harold Perrineau, in particular, provide much-needed comic relief throughout tough times within the group of friends. This movie is not only fun to watch but provides depth and character development. The story will elicit some serious emotion, evoking a sort of cathartic experience that ends in a hopeful, loving and faith-evoking resolution.

The only flaw in the movie is the rapid succession of camera shots on each of the characters in a scene.It made the scene confusing and is even a little hard on the eyes.

Perfect for a date night or a girl's night out, it's a feel-good movie that will make you laugh and inspire you, but it's definitely not fun for the whole family. With mature content, including cursing and sexual situations, this is one to see without the kids.

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@student.shu.edu.