Maayan must return to Israel

It was announced Monday that Tom Maayan’s sophomore season and Seton Hall career may be ending, according to a report in the New York Times.

This comes after Maayan was informed Monday by his uncle, David Fuchs, who flew to the United States to deliver the news.

Maayan may have to leave the basketball program and return to Israel by Jan. 2 to fulfill his military obligation. It is mandated in Israel to complete a military service.

“It’s a shock,” Maayan told the New York Times’ Zach Schonbrun in the locker room following Seton Hall’s 82-66 win over Monmouth on Monday night.

This is not the first time the point guard has had to make the decision between his school and his native country.

Maayan returned to South Orange in mid-August, after the Israeli Defense Forces granted him a 90-day leave.

At that time, Fuchs and former Seton Hall Director of Basketball Operations Stephen Sauers attempted to get Maayan an exemption from his three-year military commitment.

“Tommy has been and will always be a beloved member of the Seton Hall community,” Coach Kevin Willard said in his post- game press conference Monday night. “We will certainly miss him, and while we understand and respect his responsibility to serve his country, we are disappointed with the timing.”

Seton Hall athletics declined to comment on the situation and could only confirm the actual date Maayan must return to Israel.

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu.

Author: David Heim

David is a junior journalism major at Seton Hall University. Aside from being the sports editor of The Setonian, David is a producer for Pirate TV on its weekly sports talk show 'Hall Talk.' David is also a contributing writer for AFC East Daily, where he covers the New England Patriots, as well as GothamSN, where he covers the New York Yankees. David also covers the New York Jets for DoubleG and has written for Bleacher Report.