1993-94 team honored

Although they had not been inside Walsh Gymnasium for 20 years, the 1993-94 Seton Hall women's basketball team left the court for the final time.

The greatest team in women's basketball history at Seton Hall reunited for a special 20th anniversary celebration on Friday night during halftime of the women's game against Weber State.

"I don't even feel like I left this team. I could not be prouder of these women for putting the pro- gram on the map," former coach Phyllis Mangina said. "The bonds that we shared then are going to be present as we even go forth from here tonight."

The team compiled an overall record of 27-5 and 16-2 in the Big East, finishing as the runner-up in the conference tournament.

The team advanced to the Sweet 16 in the program's first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance as well. Mangina won the Big East, Converse District 2, Metropolitan Women's Basketball Association and New Jersey Division I Coach of the Year honors.

"When No. 8 UConn came in- side Walsh, we felt like we came together. We didn't beat them, we dominated them," team captain Jodi Brooks said.

The Pirates won that game 74- 53. The second-round NCAA Tournament win over Texas was also one that the team cherished, as the Pirates edged the Long- horns, 71-66, to advance to the Sweet 16.

The team finished ranked No. 14 in the final Associated Press poll while Brooks was a First-Team All-Big East selection that season after recording 595 points, the second-best single-season total in school history.

As Mangina finished her speech to the crowd, she said, "While we have memories, Coach Bozzella is going to do great things here. His passion is perfect for the program, and we need to support him."

An applause that had a special ring to it came alive in Walsh Gym, one that will live on from the 1993-94 season that will never be forgotten at Seton Hall.

John Fanta can be reached at john.fanta@student.shu.edu.