Smoking ban good in theory, not in practice

The Student Government Association's vote to extend the 25-foot smoking ban to apply to all buildings on campus seems like a good idea.

Preventing smoking promotes healthy bodies and a healthy environment.

This ban would extend the distance between smoker and building, which also decreases the risk of fire and the chance of smoke getting through the front passageways.

These are all advantages, but how easily could this be enforced?

Resident assistants and other Housing and Residence Life staff are responsible for enforcing the no-smoking rule under residence halls.

Residence halls are staffed around the clock, and despite doing a solid job monitoring smoking, students still break the rule.

Students should not be disrespectful and violate the current smoking rules by lighting up under Xavier, but it still happens.

Who would be responsible for monitoring the smokers within 25 feet of academic buildings?

Are students supposed to tell smokers to move?

Would there be signs marking the distance?

Would the school need to hire someone to be on watch, or require Public Safety to do a smoking check around campus throughout the day?

These are options, but do not seem realistic.

Designated smoking areas the desired amount of feet away from buildings may be a better idea than making a general distance rule.

What if someone is walking to or from class with their cigarette already lit, and cross the 25-foot mark on their way?

There are the holes in this idea that need to be planned out and resolved before any sort of ban is put in place by the University.

Rules need to be clearer and posted publically before any solid action is taken, and before results are expected. It is a good idea to promote healthier, cleaner habits to improve campus life.

A lack of smokers would improve quality of life for community members who are bothered by the smell of smoke or presence of cigarettes.

However, it is only fair to be clear on any new rules and regulations for those who do smoke.