SafeRide extends hours

SafeRide hours have been extended, and the service will run from 5 p.m. until 3 a.m., effective Nov. 7.

"Until last week, the SafeRide hours were always 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.," Patrick Linfante, director of Public Safety, said in an email. "The hours were changed as a result of a student's suggestion."

He did not give the name of the student who proposed the idea.

Students interviewed said they would like the service available during the day as well.

"The robberies happen during the day, too," freshman Jen Ortiz said. "Even if you're just walking to Rite Aid (and don't have time to wait for the SHUfly), stuff happens."

Although freshman Gerry Rizzo said he does not take the SafeRide but agreed students could benefit from it running during the day "if they needed to go somewhere."

Freshman Sarah Rizzo said she hears of more robberies and assaults during the afternoon than at night, which is why she would prefer the SafeRide to run all day.

Several recent robberies near Ora Manor on Valley Street have happened at night.

Linfante said, "SafeRide was created to provide transportation for those students and community members traveling during evening and late night hours from campus to locations in the immediate vicinity that are not on the SHUfly route."

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.