Graduate reconnects, heads Alumni Board

Seton Hall University alumnus William Staats reconnected with the University's community 27 years after he graduated and now serves as president of the Alumni Board of Directors.

According to Staats, he has "made friends with hundreds of other alumni who are just as committed" as he is to serving the Seton Hall community.

When offered the opportunity to reconnect with the University, Staats said that he reflected on the positive impact that the Seton Hall Community has had on his life and it was time to give back to Seton Hall.

The Alumni Board of Directors works to reconnect alumni to the University together through different committees.

The board also works closely with Matthew Borowick, the associate vice president for Alumni and Government relations, and his team.

"Bill and I work together to develop the Alumni Board's goals for the year, recruit new members, and, most importantly, involve current members in University activities," Borowick said.

According to Borowick alumni also make financial contributions to Seton Hall. That money is used for scholarships, for building improvements and for academic programs.

"All of that money, millions of dollars, helps today's students succeed," Borowick said.

The board members also mentor students and provide career advice.

During his time as a student, Staats met his wife of 36 years, Maryjane Dorflinger. William Staats was a political science major and Dorflinger was a nursing major.

After Staats graduated from Seton Hall, he took a different career path when he was offered an opportunity with the insurance company Chubb.

After years of working with Chubb, Staats said he wanted to "reinvent" himself and become a private banker.

Staats said he is now the managing director and a private client adviser for US Trust, Bank of America Private Wealth Management.

The Staats have three children together, Paul, Kevin and Susan Staats. Son Kevin is a 2009 Seton Hall alumnus of the Stillman School of Business and now works for the social media agency VaynerMedia.

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.