Ravenswood' successfully scares

Long time "Pretty Little Liars" fans have been waiting for half a year for the spin-off series "Ravenswood" to air on ABC Family. Last Tuesday, "Pretty Little Liars" let Tyler Blackburn venture off into Ravenswood to start the series as Aria said "There is something seriously weird about this town." Just like that, Caleb was sucked into a town full of death and mysteries waiting to be solved.

The premiere showed the transition of Caleb into Ravenswood as he met other characters who lived in the unknown town that was not on the web, according to Caleb. These different characters have their own issues involving their parents' problems and social dilemmas.

Caleb's new friend Miranda is just visiting the town to find out more about her family after her uncle, who put her into foster care, passed away. Miranda seems to think someone is always watching her and she is right -- a figure is following her everywhere, and now Caleb as well. This thrilling aspect to the show is sure to keep viewers watching.

With Caleb and Miranda wanting to leave the town as quickly as possible, they uncover something that might be a curse after discovering their look-a-likes from centuries ago are buried in a nearby grave site. To take matters into their own hands, they make friends with someone who works for the newspaper after the gravestones change before their eyes in a matter of hours. They begin to think someone does not think they are welcome in this "weird" town.

It's eventually revealed that there's a pattern that seems to occur every 100 years in Ravenswood with a tragic hero coming back to town followed by a mysterious accident that results in multiple deaths.

The series premiere ended with Caleb and Miranda driving home when the mysterious figure appears in the middle of the road. Miranda narrowly dodges this figure, however the car goes straight into a lake, sinking to the bottom as the mysterious figure watches.

With its scares and secrets, "Ravenswood" is unlike most other shows on ABC Family and will be sure to keep viewers on their toes.

Amanda Boyer can be reached at amanda.boyer@student.shu.edu