No rule set against costumes in class

Halloween at Seton Hall seems to be an open-ended question when it comes to students dressing up for classes.

According to Winston Roberts, dean of students, the University does not have any "set- in-stone" sanctions against Halloween costumes "As far as I am aware, there is no written policy," he said.

Like Roberts, several professors are unaware of any policy regarding Halloween because they say it has never been a problem in their classes.

"I've never had a policy or heard of a policy, but I would prefer if it didn't happen," said Peter Salinger, an adjunct professor the department of communication and the arts.

Salinger said that he has never had students who wore costumes to his classes. He said that if that were to happen, it would be too much of a distraction. "If students come into my class with a mask or big ears, the students will start laughing and detract from the class," he said.

According to part-time writing instructor Mildred Antenor, she has also never had to confront a student about a Halloween costume in class. "That's never been an issue," Antenor said.

However, if a student wanted to dress up for class, she said would not have a problem with it "as long as the student doesn't disrupt the class."

According to Italian professor Roberta Scortechini, like Salinger and Antenor, he has never had costumed students in any of her classes.

"It's never happened," Scortechini said.

Scortechini said that she would not be against Halloween costumes in her classes.

In fact, she said, costumes might teach cultural competencies to her students, "if they were to wear a hat or something, it might be a good culture idea," she said.

Students interviewed have mixed feelings about dressing up for Halloween.

Senior Deborah Pierre said she will not be dressing up for Halloween this year.

"I don't celebrate Halloween," Pierre said. "However, if I did, I would dress as a school girl."

Sophmore Katelyn Wilson said she is a Halloween enthusiast and is excited for this year, as she gets very into the holiday every year.

Wilson always tries to find creative costume ideas.

"I try to dress up in unique costumes because I don't want to risk matching someone else," she said.

Last year, Wilson celebrated Halloween as a peacock.

This year, "I'm going to be a unicorn," Wilson said.

For her costume, she bought a headband online and plans to use costume pieces from previous years.

Junior Emily Feldnan does not plan on dressing up for her classes this year. "I don't feel comfortable with it," she said. However, she does plan on dressing up for Halloween night. "I am going to be a devil," Feldnan said. "I already have the costume pieces, so it's easier."

Roberts said he would like to remind students to use good judgment if they dress up for classes.

"In regard to wearing costumes, I think community members should use common sense," he said.

He adds: "A member of the Seton Hall University community should not wear a costume that could potentially disrupt the classroom or campus environment because it is inappropriate."

Rachel Hassett can be reached at rachel.hassett@student.shu.edu.