Katy perry shows artistic growth in new album

Katy Perry proved that she has grown up since her "Teenage Dream" days with the release of her new album "Prism" on Oct. 18.

"Prism" is the fourth studio album for the eccentric singer and while it maintains Perry's signature fun, laid-back vibe, there's a new maturity that audiences were never exposed to before. Even with the added mature song lyrics and emotional melodies, "Prism" is an album of 16 hits.

"Roar," Perry's first single off the album, is a "Rocky"-themed anthem in which she asserts her strength and power. While the song has succeeded on both radio and Billboard charts, it is stylistically the closest track to those we have already heard from Perry, and sometimes borders on being boring.

Also similar to some of her previous songs is "Birthday," an undeniably catchy tune that one cannot help but listen to more than once. Like the title suggests, "Birthday" is a sugary pop tune that requires nothing more than driving with the windows down on a nice day to fully enjoy it. Similarly, "International Smile" is a quintessential summertime song, despite the chilly weather surrounding its release.

Those who followed Perry's career since the beginning know that she started as a Christian singer, and on the track "Legendary Lovers" she pays homage to her Pentecostal upbringing. "Walking on Air" also has religious influences with the line "Even Heaven is jealous of our love."

While Perry definitely shows her religious side on "Prism," it is with songs like "Dark Horse" featuring Juicy J and "This is How We Do" that fans are reminded that her purpose in the music industry is to make people feel good. These particular tracks are the types that were probably made solely to blast at parties, but that is not a bad thing at all.

"Ghost" is perhaps the track that most clearly proves Perry's growth as both a person and an artist since her last record. The song blatantly discusses the text message that ex-husband Russell Brand sent her to end their marriage, a subject she previously kept fairly private. The deeply personal song is chilling with the phrase "but you hit send" repeatedly emphasizing the casual finality of the act.

There is not one track on "Prism" that is not worth listening to, a feat that not many artists are able to accomplish, especially after already achieving such success.

Alexandra D'Aluisio can be reached at alexandra.daluisio@ student.shu.edu.