Flu shots still available at SHU

Students who missed the free flu vaccination event at the University Center, where shots were administered by Seton Hall nursing students, can still get a flu shot.

Shots are available at Health Services, across from the campus main gate at 303 Center St.

The late fall and early winter is the time of year when the flu becomes problematic, and according to Mary Elizabeth Costello, director of Health Services, the flu bug is beginning to show up now.

"A handful of students have come into Health Services already experiencing flu-like symptoms" Costello said. "We try to track the flu trends on a state map to better understand where they are going."

According to Margaret Huryk, an assistant professor in the College of Nursing who helped coordinate the event, flu shots save more than 100,000 lives annually.

"For our students to administer the shots it is a win-win for everyone at the university because it exemplifies our servant leader qualities while helping the rest of the student body maintain a clean bill of health," Huryk said. "The more students vaccinated, the less likely it is that the flu will spread around campus and less students missing class for illness."

All student nurses administering flu shots were previously vaccinated.

Although there is no substitute for vaccination, other ways to ward off sickness include getting plenty of rest to maintain immune system, drinking of hot liquids such as tea, and adding citrus fruits to diets.

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu