Avett Brothers ‘do not disappoint’ with newest album

The Avett Brothers have come a long way since their 2009 hit album “I and Love and You.” Since then they worked with the highly sought after producer Rick Rubin several times, and their newest album has benefited from Rubin’s insight. Their latest and eighth release, “Magpie and the Dandelion,” does not disappoint.

The album’s lead single, “Another Is Waiting,” has a pop quality to it that may be an unfamiliar sound from the group that is most known for its traditional American folk and rock roots. “Staying true to yourself and doing the right thing” seems to be a common message for The Avett Brothers. Though this pop- and radio-friendly song conveys the Avett Brother’s message very well, “Another is Waiting” feels the completely different from the rest of the album, which has a somewhat country feel to it.

The ballads on the album, “Good to You” and “Apart From Me,” feature light instrumentals on the piano and acoustic guitar that remind listeners of what the band is most famous for. These songs are good additions to the album; however, they do not seem to fit in with the genre and sounds The Avett Brothers had in mind.

“Souls Like the Wheels” is the only song recorded live in concert on this album that was reworked and re-recorded after originally being cut off of their EP “The Second Gleam.”

This album has still The Avett Brother alt-rock feel to it, but mixed in is a country twang with violins as the centerpiece. The music varies and balances upbeat and ballad songs. This is definitely worth a listen if you are into a different kind of rock and spin to it.

Amanda Boyer can be reached at amanda.boyer@student.shu.edu

Author: Amanda Boyer

Amanda is a senior public relations major graduating in December 2015, a semester earlier than the four-year track, from Hillsborough, NJ. Prior, she was the Photography Editor and now holds the postion of being the Social Media Manager of The Setonian. She is also a freelance photographer for on and off campus events. As a writer, she is also a contributor to CupidsPulse.com, HerCampus.com and TheTaiLife.com.