Junior McClure wins at Rutgers

For the third time in the three and a half year program history, a women's golfer hoisted an individual tournament trophy.

Junior Erin McClure joins classmate Ali Kruse and senior Hannah Basalone as the only tournament champions after winning the Rutgers Women's Invitational on Tuesday.

McClure finished with a 2-over-par, 146, winning by one stroke over LIU's Marison Doglioli and Delaware's Amanda Terzian.

McClure, the reigning Big East Golfer of the Week, also set the lowest par-72, two-round score in program history.

Head coach Sara Doell said that she is proud of how McClure has matured on the course during her career.

"Erin has taken a giant step for us this season," she said. "She's realized the importance of controlling emotions on the course and remaining focused in the moment."

The Pirates took second out of 17 teams, shooting a 32-over-par, 302-306-608, which was five strokes behind Delaware, the team champion.

The team was tied for first place with Delaware at the end of the first round, but the Pirates faltered a bit in the second with an 18-over-par, 306.

Sophomore Karlie Zabrosky recorded her second career top-10, shooting a career-best 9-over-par, 76-77, 153, which was good for a share of 10th place among 113 golfers at the tournament.

Kruse fired a strong second round to put her in a tie for 18th place with an 11-over-par, 80-75, 155.

Junior McKenzie Cutter, finished one stroke behind with a 12-over-par, 75-81-156.

Cutter filled Megan Tenhundfeld's spot in the lineup because Tenhundfeld fell ill, according to Doell.

The team also had an opportunity to see some conference competitors in the team at Rutgers. Both Georgetown and St. John's were present.

The Hall finished nine strokes ahead of a third-place St. John's squad and 18 strokes ahead of sixth-place Georgetown.

Doell said that she had mixed feelings about the team's performance at the tournament.

"I'm happy with how they played in the tournament," Doell said. "I'm a little disappointed that we didn't defend our win from last year."

This was the team's first opportunity to defend a team tournament win in the program's short history.

The Pirates have won two team tournaments but were unable to defend their first victory at the St. John's Intercollegiate Tournament, because that tournament was not held the next year.

"We believe we can win the next two tournaments," Doell said. "Everyone has to play solid together."

The Pirates will return to the course on Oct. 20 for an eight-team field at the Sacred Heart Fall Classic.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.