Student lives film 'The Intern' for a week

Sophomore economics major Briana Glass knows all about the inner workings of Google.

Glass was one of 35 participants selected to attend a week- long, all-expense-paid exposure program at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., where she explored various business sectors within the company, she said.

"I had the opportunity to meet with executives from areas such as marketing, Google X and sales," Glass said.

She said she also presented a case study to Google employees on "how to improve marketing tactics for future recruitment."

According to Glass, she was selected for the Google Bold Immersion Program after submitting an online application that included an essay, a description of her involvement on campus and academic-based questions.

"The goal of this one-week program is to select students Google thinks would be great interns and expose them to all opportunities within the company," Glass said.

She added she plans to apply this fall for the full-time summer internship.

According to Glass, most people do not know that Google offers many different positions that fit with a variety of majors. "(The internship) helped me realize that with my major, I can pursue a multitude of different career paths and that my major should not confine me to one particular field of work," Glass said.

Glass said she sees herself graduating from law school and pursuing a career that deals with some aspect of the law.

According to Glass, the most important thing she learned from Google is to find passion in one's own work, no matter what it is.

"That work can be more than just a nine-to-five experience," Glass said.

She added that, "if you love where you work, it makes coming to work exciting and that is exact- ly what Google does."

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@stu- dent.shu.edu.