Alum hopes to raise awareness of autism with new book

Seton Hall alumnus Kerry Magro has a story to share.

It's a deeply personal story of his struggles with autism, and he published a book, "Defining Autism from the Heart," which was released in July. Magro was diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified, a form of autism, at age four.

"I want people to understand autism is not going away, and that we must educate in order to have more acceptance of individuals with special needs" Magro said. "We must begin a national agenda of awareness to show those who don't know about autism that it is here and we have to support those who struggle with it."

Magro completed the manuscript for "Defining Autism from the Heart" while earning his master's degree in strategic communication and leadership at Seton Hall.

In fact, he gives credit to his success in advocacy to his time at Seton Hall. During his time at Seton Hall, Magro became an advocate not only for himself, but for others struggling with autism by founding the Student Disability Awareness Group on campus.

"Before I came to Seton Hall, I did not have the same opportunities to advocate for special needs individuals, and not many knew of my own struggles with autism," Magro said.

"But Seton Hall helped me find my voice and realize my own goals. "It's been quite a humbling experience."

Among other projects, Magro has aspirations to publish two more books in the next two years dealing with advocacy for the special needs community.

He notes that there is so much more for society at large to learn about autism and how to support members of the community in overcoming it.

"I hope to continue to mend the misconceptions people associate with autism," he said. "It's unique in that it varies from person to person on a wide spectrum.

"My story is just that: my unique take of autism."

Brett Montana can be reached at brett.montana@student.shu.edu.