Pirates downed by Creighton

In a physical game in misty, overcast conditions, the women's soccer team fell 1-0 at home to Creighton, their second consecutive 1-0 loss.

The lone goal of the game came in the 62nd minute when Creighton's Madelyn Buckner passed the ball from the right side and found an open Kirstyn Corder, who tapped the ball into the back of the net past a diving Jennifer Pettigrew.

The Pirates had their opportunities, however failed to convert. Perhaps the team's best opportunity came in the 78th minute where the team put up two shots and two corners. Senior forward Katie Ritter almost tied the game when she headed a ball that bounced off the crossbar and was recovered by the Bluejays.

"I just knew I had to keep fighting no matter how bad it sucked that I missed those chances," Ritter said. "The only thing now that I can do is look forward and put the chances away when I have them."

The senior finished with five shots, all of which had the crowd thinking goal.

Head coach Kazbek Tambi said that while the team had opportunities to score, the lack of finishing helped the Bluejays "sneak" out a win.

"It's disappointing because we had the opportunities to score early on and in the second half," Tambi said. "We had some great looks at goal that didn't get put away, and the longer you keep a team in the game, the better chance the other team will come back and sneak something on you and that's what happened today."

The Pirates are now 4-7-1 and a 2-2 record in the Big East after a 0-2 week. The team has five games remaining, with a trip to Xavier on Saturday.

"We ask that everybody sit back and reflect and think about how they could have played a little bit better," Tambi said.