New facilities to open as soon as January

It is hard not to notice all the construction on campus, but soon enough everything will be back to normal.

Vice President for Administration Dennis Garbini said the projects, Aquinas Hall dormitory, the Richie Reagan Recreational Center and Stafford Hall, are in various stages of construction, from working on foundations to walls.

Aquinas, according to Garbini, is set to open in August 2014. Currently, the fourth floor is being worked on, with the roof, foundation for the additional residence wing and new lobby area being installed.

"The cooling tower is being temporarily removed from the roof this week so the framing of the fourth floor can be completed," Garbini said.

Garbini said the Stafford Hall construction should be completed in August 2014 as well.

"Stafford Hall is on schedule to open in August 2014, as foundations are being poured and steel construction should be underway in November," Garbini said. "Many behind-the-scenes activities are also underway and some buried utilities had to be relocated."

The Recreation Center is scheduled to be finished with construction by the end of December, according to Garbini.

"Interior construction is underway and construction will be completed by the end of December, and students can expect to use the facility when they return in January (from winter break)," Garbini said.

As for the University Center construction, discussed in the past few years, Seton Hall is evaluating its priorities in regard to this building, a timeline and fundraising opportunities, according to Garbini.

Garbini said the construction of the parking deck is scheduled to begin in October or November. It is also expected to be completed by August 2014, along with Aquinas and Stafford.

"This project will add approximately 560 new spaces to campus," Garbini said.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.