Changes to Clery Act require all crime reports to go online

Public Safety will begin publishing all campus safety information on its website in the spring, including information on crimes on and near campus that the university must disclose under federal law.

The University notified the Seton Hall community in an email Tuesday that the change is due to amendments to the Clery Act of 1990, which established the crime reporting regulations.

According to Assistant Director of Public Safety and Security Gary Christie, readers of the online crime report will not notice any major changes until next spring.

"Most of the changes affecting this year's report are administrative," Christie said. "The major changes will come in the spring of next year when we will be required to begin tracking reports of stalking, domestic violence and dating violence."

He said Public Safety will then create programs for these categories to include them and related policies in reports.

"Additionally, the hate crime victim categories will expand to include sex and sexual identity," Christie said.

For now, the 2013 Seton Hall University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report includes statistics for the past three years' reported crimes on campus, off campus in the immediate vicinity, institutional policies dealing with alcohol or drugs, crime prevention, the reporting of crime, sexual assault, referral sources and fire safety information, ac- cording to Tuesday's email.

The email read that representatives from Housing and Residence Life, Student Services and Public Safety all work with the Village of South Orange and Newark law enforcers to come up with the requirements for the Act.

It stated that this report is gathered from emailed information from students, staff, faculty and employees every year and can be found at http://www. shu.edu/offices/upload/Annual-Security-Report-2013.pdf. A written copy can be obtained directly from Public Safety by calling (973) 761-9328, according to the email.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.