Star recruit chooses Seton Hall

"I would like to announce that I'll be taking my talents to Seton Hall."

Isaiah Whitehead, a five-star recruit out of Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, announced in a press conference that he will play for Seton Hall University next season.

The 6-4 guard had it narrowed down to five schools, and was deciding between St. John's, Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Indiana. However, many reports pointed to a local decision such as St. John's or Seton Hall.

"I picked Seton Hall to bring the program back to where it used to be," Whitehead said.

Whitehead is ranked No. 35 on ESPN's top 100 recruits, and will be a huge addition to Seton Hall's already impressive recruiting class.

Seton Hall has also received commitments from guard Khadeen Carrington, a senior out of Bishop Loughlin, and 6-8 forward Angel Delgado out of Huntington Prep in W.Va.

Delgado will add interior depth to Seton Hall's lineup while Carrington, who is good friends with Whitehead, will add young talent to the backcourt.

His future teammates are not the only familiar faces Whitehead will see at Seton Hall. Lincoln High School head coach Dwayne "Tiny" Morton is expected to join the Pirate's staff next year, which could only be beneficial to Whitehead.

Whitehead led his high school team to a PSAL 'AA' city championship at Madison Square Garden. During his junior year, he averaged 21.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 5.3 assists.

Whitehead looks to become another NBA star guard out of Lincoln High School joining Stephon Marbury, Sebastian Telfair and Lance Stephenson.

Whitehead broke the news about the press conference and his potential schools that he was considering on his Twitter account, Tuesday night.

Many high-profile schools such as Syracuse, Louisville and UCLA were original contenders for the recruit, but were overlooked by Whitehead when he decided that he would prefer to stay close to home.

Whitehead admitted that he was drawn to a more local school because he didn't want to leave his mother and home behind.

Michael Romano can be reached at Michael.romano1@student.shu.edu.