New fall season contains big names, potential hits

With the fall comes a slew of new series, all looking to be the next hit. This year features some familiar faces, both real and fictional. But big names such as Robin Williams and Marvel don't necessarily lead to quality programming. How will the new television year turn out? Tune it into some of these shows and judge for yourselves!

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.D.": ABC's new series "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. " capitalizes on the huge market - for stories from comic books. Yet, this series shows a different side of comics. Instead of the main protagonist being a superhero, Clark Gregg reprises his role as Agent Phil Coulson from Marvel's feature films as he gathers a team of highly specialized agents to join the international law-enforcement group S.H.I.E.L.D. The team will travel the globe to investigate "strange" happenings while trying to protect normal civilians from the extraordinary citizens. Most of the cast is unknown, but you will know leading protagonist Gregg from his presence in many of the Marvel box office smashes. Other "S.H.I.E.L.D." actors include Ming-Na Wen, Brett Dalton, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, and Elizabeth Henstridge. Watch it at 8 p.m. on Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 24 on ABC!

"Dracula": NBC is putting a new spin on a classic The series centers on the title vampire, who is posing as an American entrepreneur in London. As Dracula woos the Victorian society with his "passion" for modern society, his underlying reason for traveling to London is a desire to take revenge on the person(s) who plagued him with immortality centuries prior. Golden Globe winner Jonathan Rhys Meyers of "The Borgias" is stepping up to the plate to recreate the iconic character, alongside Thomas Kretschmann as Abraham Van Helsing, Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Jonathan Harker and Jessica De Gouw as Mina Murray. The series premiere is 10 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25.

"The Crazy Ones": Robin Williams is back at it again on CBS' new sitcom "The Crazy Ones." The series tells the story of a successful ad agency run by Simon (Williams) and his daughter Sydney (Sarah Michelle Gellar). The only problem is that father and daughter are polar opposites, with Simon's fun and carefree attitude forever exasperating the serious and uptight Sydney. The series makes its debut at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 26. Let Williams make you cry, laugh and enjoy a show where you can tune into your happy place.

"MasterChef Junior": If you enjoy reality television, food preparation and Gordon Ramsey, "MasterChef Junior" may be right up your alley. With celebrity chef nightmare Ramsey on the panel, you're sure to see tears from the show's unusual contestants. Hoping to win the $100,000 are kids ages 8 to 13 with a love for cooking. This potential reality TV hit airs on FOX at 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27. Expect nothing less than the Gordon Ramsey everyone has come to love and/or hate.

"Sleepy Hollow": A new FOX series that debuted Monday, Sept. 16 is "Sleepy Hollow." Yes, this is another reproduction of a classic, but it'll be interesting to see how this series pans out. Unknown Tom Mison will be taking on the role of Ichabod Crane. The twist to the classic plot is Crane is resurrected to current times to solve the famed mystery of the Headless Horseman, who is massacring people in contemporary Sleepy Hollow. Nicole Beharie, who played Rachel Robinson in "42," plays Abbie Mills, Crane's partner. This 9 p.m. show is sure to spook, intrigue, and make you wonder what will happen next.

Gloryeanne Lindenmuth can be reached at gloryeanne.lindenmuth@student.shu.edu.