Diplomacy School making changes

An interim dean has been named to replace Ambassador Patrick Melady shortly after John C. Whitehead's name was removed from the School of Diplomacy and International Relations.

Although these changes mark the loss of two leaders in the Seton Hall community, they will have no effect on the prestige of the School of Diplomacy, according to Senior Associate Provost Joan Guetti.

"The School of Diplomacy is an affiliate member of APSIA, Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs," Guetti said. "APSIA is not an accrediting body, but rather represents a consortium of schools that exhibit best practices in the field. We would like to move to full membership. The School will continue to pursue this designation under Dean (Andrea) Bartoli's leadership."

Bartoli was named interim dean during the summer.

"Dean Bartoli brings leadership experiences and an outstanding academic reputation, which will clearly benefit the School of Diplomacy," Guetti said.

In addition to books, and articles, "he has also served in various task forces and peace keeping processes in Mozambique, Guate- mala, Algeria and Kosovo," Guetti said. "He has taught both graduate and undergraduate courses at notable universities, including Columbia, Georgetown and George Mason."

Bartoli has been assisting faculty in making improvements in the School of Diplomacy. These changes include additions to curriculum, according to Administrative Coordinator Diana Riccards.

"The new curriculum will be more focused and will offer more possibilities for the students, including further flexibility in the way the coursework can be organized," Riccards said.

In fact, she said, some of these curriculum changes have already been submitted for approval. "One innovation in the graduate curriculum that has already been approved by our faculty is a certificate on post-conflict reconstruction, (and) now requires final approval from the University," Riccards said.

Riccards said that Bartoli hopes to strengthen the coordination among faculty, students, and administration. "We will have more faculty workshops, intellectual exchanges and conferences," Riccards said.

According to Riccards, Bartoli aims to advance Seton Hall's global reach.

"There will be the clustering of the work of the School through four centers," Riccards said. "One is already in place in the area of global health, and three others that will be discussed soon with the faculty are identified around the U.N. and multilateral diplomacy, peace and conflict, and emerging powers and trends," she said.

Rachel Hassett can be reached at rachel.hassett@student.shu.edu.

Correction: Dean Andrea Bartoli is not an interim dean.