Dodge ball gets underway

Seton Hall University intramurals kicked off Monday night with the start of intramural dodge ball.

Around 6:30 p.m., students gathered on the field house courts in the Rec Center with their teams in up beat and competitive spirits, ready to fight for the title of dodge ball champions. One of those students was Seton Hall third-year seminary student Chris Sonich.

"It's my first year doing intra- murals, but I'm excited," Sonich said. "It's a good way for me to get together with my friends and have fun but also add some competition."

The teams will meet two times each week and battle it out in a best two-out-of-three series. The wins and losses are then recorded in a bracket system for later determination on which teams will advance to the finals.

Although dodge ball is highly competitive, Seton Hall junior Zachary DeVoe said that students play with respect.

"We always play with integrity," DeVoe said. "We want to have fun and compete but also show good sportsmanship."

Sonich said that it's also a great way to stay in shape.

"It's a fun way to stay active," Sonich said. "It's a good way to relieve stress and let off some steam."

Senior Philip Klaas said that he signs up for intramural sports every year.

"I've played intramurals all three years I've been here," Klaas said. "It's a good way to get together with my brothers and work as a fellowship."

The dodge ball tournament will take place over three weeks, and in the end a team will be crowned dodge ball champion.

DeVoe said that even though it's intramural, he thinks winning means a lot.

"I think we all are competitive and want to win," DeVoe said. "We get a shirt if we win, and I think we all want to get that shirt."

Courtney Hnasko can be reached at courtney.hnasko@student.shu.edu.