Aquinas fourth floor in store for spring

Aquinas Hall construction begins its hammering at 7 a.m. and can continue from anywhere between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to build the additional fourth floor to the residence hall.

Tara Hart, director of Housing and Residence Life, said that HRL plans to allow students living in Aquinas this year to request a room on the fourth floor on a first come, first serve basis.

"HRL is planning to offer those students who reside in AQ this year a first chance at selecting a space in AQ for 2014-15 should they so desire," Hart said.

Beginning in fall 2015, HRL is considering the fourth floor as housing for Honors students, according to Hart.

"For the 2015-2016 year, our intention is for the fourth floor of AQ to house cohorts such as the Honors Program," Hart said.

Initially, upperclassmen were going to occupy the entire residence hall for 2013-14, but freshmen are living there.

"Similar to how we offered the discounted rate for upperclassmen, we offered the same opportunity to first-year students and their families at the Pirate Adventures," Hart said. "Since there was a significant level of interest, we opted to assign first-year students to Aquinas, as well."

Freshmen Angelica Contino said they chose to live in Aquinas because they liked the suite-style rooms, and Zachary Blaisdell.

"We have a better sense of community because of the suites," Blaisdell said.

Freshmen Miranda Finley and Rene Bos said they did not choose to live in Aquinas, but the discount makes it worthwhile.

"I didn't mind; I got a good discount," Finley said.

Bos said she is not thrilled about the construction going on, but she is happy about the discount. Finley, who lives on the third floor, said she does not mind the construction as much.

"It's (the construction) not that bad, it wakes you up sometimes," Finley said. "It's kind of like an alarm clock."

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at Lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu