Seton Hall website migrates to the cloud

As of Wednesday July 24, the University website has been moved to the cloud, according to the Director of Web and Digital Communication Michael Hyland and Marie Somers, director of Web Content Systems.

"To quote Wikipedia, 'cloud' computing is a colloquial expression used to describe a variety of different types of computing concepts that involve a large number of computers that are connected through a real-time communication network," Hyland said. "For our project, this essentially means the website is hosted external to the campus through our vendor."

According to Hyland and Somers, the cloud will provide additional infrastructure support and redundancy.

"Overall performance should remain consistent; however, the redundancy aspect is what makes this most appealing," Hyland said.

He said the process of switching over was not easily done.

"The process was complicated, it involved working with our IT department and the vendor (cloud) to sync and migrate databases and content, testing and full production implementation," Hyland said.

The move to the cloud was an idea that formed a couple of years ago "with the vendor's announcement of this service solution," according to Hyland.

"The Seton Hall Community will continue to receive a consistent web experience, even in times of crisis or regional resource outages," Hyland said.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.