Kevin Johnson officially transfers

Men’s basketball sophomore center Kevin Johnson has been granted his official release from the university a day after the program tried to block the transfer.

On Tuesday, Seton Hall tried to block Johnson’s transfer in speculation that Cal-State Northridge was his destination of choice. Seton Hall made the attempt to block the transfer in result that former assistant coach Chris Pompey is now an associate head coach at the school.

However, later that day the school released a statement regarding Kevin’s decision to transfer.

Kevin Johnson will not return to Seton Hall University next season. He will be granted his full release by the University.

“Kevin has decided to pursue other basketball opportunities. We appreciate his contributions to our program and wish him much success in his future,” said head coach Kevin Willard.

Johnson appeared in 21 games for the Pirates last season. He averaged 2.5 points and 2.0 rebounds in 7.9 minutes per game.

There were also rumors that Kevin might have had San Diego State in sights; the school Seton Hall beat out to sign Johnson two years ago.

While the Pirates realized it was a tall task to keep the unhappy Johnson in South Orange, it is not surprising Kevin Willard and staff made a strong push to sway their young center from transferring.

The transfer marks the sixth under Willard and the fourth of the 2011 recruiting class.

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu

Author: David Heim

David is a junior journalism major at Seton Hall University. Aside from being the sports editor of The Setonian, David is a producer for Pirate TV on its weekly sports talk show 'Hall Talk.' David is also a contributing writer for AFC East Daily, where he covers the New England Patriots, as well as GothamSN, where he covers the New York Yankees. David also covers the New York Jets for DoubleG and has written for Bleacher Report.