Legislators visit SHU to support grant recipients

State legislators attended a reception at the Faculty Lounge of the University Cen­ter to show support for Seton Hall recipients of Tuition Assistance Grants on Thursday, April 26.

TAG helps more than a thousand stu­dents, and this year was its 35th anniversary, according to Associate Vice President for Alumni and Government Matthew Boro­wick. Last year TAG provided students with more than $7.5 million.

Alumnus and Assemblyman John McKeon and Assemblywoman Mila Jasey spoke at the reception to show support for the program. Eighteen state legislators in New Jersey are Seton Hall alumni. Director of Strategic Initiatives of the Student Gov­ernment Organization Erandi Trevino also spoke on the importance of TAG to her Se­ton Hall experience.

“The great equalizer in this country has been education,” McKeon said. “It means opportunities for more students to gain a level of higher education.”

Borowick said that this event was im­portant because it allows the opportunity to “engage a couple of state legislators and meet students so that they can see the value of their investments.

“Events like this introduce students to leaders of the state,” Borowick said.

Education was always valued in Jasey’s family, and she spoke on behalf of her sup­port for TAG.

“If you have an education, that is some­thing that can never be taken away from you,” Jasey said.

Mary Marshall can be reached a mary.marshall@student.shu.edu.

Author: Mary Marshall

Mary Marshall is the Editor In Chief of The Setonian. She is a senior at Seton Hall, originally from Chicago. Mary is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is a former intern for NBC Dateline, Tom Brokaw and MSNBC. Mary reports on local crime and breaking news on campus.