Get creative with your cap and gown
With graduation fast approaching, the seniors are faced with a very important question: how will they decorate their caps?
Making a memorable design is important because classmates, friends, family members and more will see it on one of the most important days of the student’s life. Whether it’s a shout out to mom and dad or a proclamation of love for a person or organization, what you put on top of your cap is your last chance to say something as an undergrad at Seton Hall.
So what will it be? Sentimental or comical? Plain or detailed? Will other people even be doing it? People involved in clubs and organizations or on sports teams are very likely to do this, senior Dana Tattoli said.
Tattoli is decorating her cap with her Greek letters which will likely be a popular trend. Between letters, club names and sports symbols there are many options of what to do to show your love and memories.
An article on www.Buzzfeed.com featured many interesting cap designs. There were quotes, book and movie references, intricate designs, Greek letters, decorated names, thanks to parents and other random yet creative creations.
Samantha Giedris can be reached at Samantha.Giedris@student.shu.edu.
How are you decorating? Tweet us your photos @Setonian, #SHUgraduationcap!
1. Decide what impression you want to leave.
Are you involved in an organization or club that you think represents you? Give them a shout out! Include their logo or letters.
*Can’t get enough of the sports team you’re on? Put a picture representing it!
*Love pop culture? Put a quote from your favorite book or movie. Don’t be afraid to put SpongeBob or Harry Potter on it, you probably won’t be the only one.
*Smarty pants? Put your favorite quote or a corporate logo. Even a “thanks mom and dad” will prove your point.
*Love superheroes? Go ahead and put their logo on your cap! No one will judge the Captain America shield or Superman symbol.
*Do you have lots of pirate pride? Put a pirate on top.
*Trying to keep it simple? Write your name and decorate around it. Or just do a simple decoration all around. Even if you just cut some fabric and attach it to the top, it’ll still make an impression.
2. Now that you know what you’re doing, go out and get the materials. If you’re gluing scrabble tiles or pre-cut letters, get hot glue or fabric glue. If you’re planning on drawing or writing everything on then make sure you have fabric markers and sharpies. Get all the rhinestones, lace and glitter you think will compliment your final fashion statement.
3. Try out what you’re doing before you start it. Test out your fabric pens and designs before you put them on the cap itself. If your markers run, or the design is more intricate than you thought, it might be good to know ahead of time.
4. Make your masterpiece! Put everything together to form the ultimate cap.
5. Show it off at graduation! Take lots of pictures to show off your hard work and commemorate the special day.