Education professor up for national recognition

Seton Hall University has recently nominated Dr. Roberta Devlin-Scherer of the College of Education and Human Servies for the U.S. Professor of the Year.

Courses she has taught include Instructional Theory and Practice.

According to Dr. Greg Burton of the Provost's Office, nominations are solicited from various places; however, any member of the Seton Hall community has the opportunity to send in nominations.

"(We) assemble a broad panel to look over the material and identify Seton Hall's official nominee or nominees for the year," Buron said. "The panel includes members of the administration, faculty and a student representative."

Burton said that the nomination for Devlin-Scherer was very detailed.

"The nomination we received for Dr. Devlin-Scherer was very compelling, emphasizing the many layers of her teaching, the book she has published on education, her ready and skillful adoption of new technologies and her personal commitment to exemplifying the lifelong learner," Burton said.

Upon learning about her nomination, Devlin-Scherer said she was "pleased to be selected and mindful there are many good teachers at Seton Hall."

She also said she enjoyed her time here at the Hall.

"The opportunities for professional development on campus are a real advantage," Devlin-Scherer said.

She added that the curriculum development initiatives have helped her modernize and add to her classes.

"The liberal arts faculty in English and communications and University librarians guided my development of reading/writing, oral communication and information fluency competencies in secondary classes," Devlin-Scherer said. "These trainings were a great experience because I got to work with faculty in all disciplines. Technology faculties are also always available to encourage adoption of new technology applications."

Devlin-Scherer said that she enjoys watching her students develop over the course of their undergraduate years.

"What is special about undergraduate teaching is the students themselves and how they develop into teachers," she said. "I enjoy being part of that change."

The challenge of the education major also is enticing, she said.

"Because students have two majors and extensive internships in school settings, secondary education is demanding," Devlin-Scherer said.

Arielle Branco can be reached at arielle.branco@student.shu.edu.