Chesney releases island themed album

Kenny Chesney reminds fans to slow down and soak up the sun in his new island-themed album, "Life On A Rock," which was re­leased on April 30.

The title track captures the spirit of the entire album. The song captures the easy-going island vibes complete with happy hour all day, driving on the left side of the road, forgetting time and slow­ing down. In the track "Coconut Tree," which features country leg­end Willie Nelson, Chesney says there is no where he'd rather be than on an island under a coconut tree with his girl and the sun. This song also evoke the spirit of the album being about living an easy-going stress-free life.

The track "Pirate Flag" speaks about Chesney trading in his hec­tic life for a laid back kind of life with lyrics, "I spend my whole life running around/still let the wind kind of blow me around/ I dropped a note in a bottle/ to a long-legged model/and I traded it in for a whole 'nother world/a pi­rate flag and an island girl."

Chesney pays tribute to Jamai­can reggae icon Bob Marley in track "Marley" and also weaves his sound into the album, fusing reggae and country in the track "Spread the Love," which features The Wailers (Bob Marley's band) and Elan.

Some fans might be a bit uncom­fortable with the album, which steps out of the classic Chesney sound, but true fans will look past this and acknowledge "Life On A Rock" as being just as great of an album as his previous releases.

The Setonian gives this 4 out of 5 stars.

Shaniel Champagnie can be reached at shaniel.champagnie@student.shu.edu.