Pirates sweep Villanova

The Seton Hall baseball team scored a total of 37 runs this weekend to sweep Big East opponent Villanova University at Plymouth Meeting, PA.

The Pirates (26-16, 10-5) won their fifth straight game on Sunday and have won nine of their last 11. The sweep of Villanova (11-32, 2-13) was also the Pirates' fifth straight series victory.

Sunday's back-and-forth contest was blown open in the eighth inning when Seton Hall scored six runs to break 5-5 tie. The Pirates took the lead on a two-run single by senior catcher Dillon Hamlin.

Later in the inning, sophomore Tyler Boyd cleared the bases with a pinch hit, bases clearing triple to extend the Pirates lead. After a sacrifice fly by senior outfielder Scott Kalamar and a three-run bottom half of the inning by the Wildcats, Seton Hall would go on to win 11-8.

Relief pitcher Josh Prevost was the pitcher of record and received his fourth win of the season as he tossed 3.2 innings and gave up only two runs on three hits. Junior centerfielder Zack Granite went 2-4 with an RBI, a walk, three runs scored and his 30th stolen base of the year.

Senior second baseman Tyler Sciacca reached base four times on two hits and two walks, while recording two RBI and a run scored for the Wildcats.

On Saturday the Pirates put together an offensive clinic with 19 hits to grab the win by a score of 16-5. Sophomore right-hander Jose Lopez (2-3) pitched 5.2 strong innings and gave up only one run with a season-high eight strikeouts.

Lopez received plenty of offensive support from the three-hit performances by senior shortstop Giuseppe Papaccio, sophomore first baseman Sal Annunziata and Scott Kalamar. Hamlin came up with some big hits finishing 2-3 with four RBI, a run and a walk. Senior outfielder Paul Rambaud had two hits and three RBI for Villanova.

In the series opener on Friday, senior Jon Prosinski shutout the Wildcats leading Seton Hall to a 7-0 victory. Prosinski tossed his fourth complete game of the season and improved his record to 7-2. The Pirate's ace scattered 6 hits while surrendering one walk and striking out a career-high 13.

Senior second baseman Mike Genovese led the offensive attack for Seton Hall finishing the game 4-5 with two RBI and a run scored. Granite and junior third baseman Chris Selden each had two hits, one RBI and a run scored for the Pirates.

The Pirates have recorded at least nine hits 16 times in their last 17 games and during that span, the team has increased their batting average by .39 points.

The Hall looks to continue their hot hitting on Tuesday, April 30 in Jersey City when they play Saint Peter's at 3 p.m.

Mike Romano can be reached @michael.romano@student.shu.edu.